The VMS Barn
This barn, showcases our voluntary milking robot in action as well as the importance of integrated barn planning, encompassing: cow traffic options, feeding solutions and farm management software – all from DeLaval.
What can you see in this barn?
The VMS barn was built in 2002 to showcase DeLaval VMS™ - voluntary milking system. This advanced high-tech barn houses state-of-the-art solutions with the latest computer and component technology from DeLaval.
Quick VMS barn facts
1 VMS unit
60 milking cows
1 200 sq.m. barn area
- Resting area - 900 m2
- Ventilation - forced intake ventilation with computerised open roof ridge
- Cubicle area - 1.30 x 1.80 with open front.
- Free hanging mattress with protective plastic cover
- Feeding cubicles - with rubber mats
- Cooling tank - 6 000 litres
- Roughage equipment Overhead computerised feeding, FS160
- Concentrate stations - 3+1
- Manure equipment - Open manure alley with rubber mats and urine draining
- Manure pit - 30 m3 net volume for 5 days production
In connection to the VMS Barn a DeLaval Optimat™ Master feeding system was installed in 2011, which is a fully automatic system that will load, cut, mix and distribute feed automatically.
Close to the heart of our business
Looking down the hill from the VMS barn you can see DeLaval’s headquarters and the DeLaval Tumba factory. The factory is responsible for the production of our advanced products, with VMS at the core.