UN Sustainable Development Goals
2015 was a pivotal year when it comes to sustainable development. World leaders agreed that businesses play a decisive role in making the world more sustainable and secure. The UN established the 2030 agenda with 17 Sustainable Development Goals at its core. The actions and innovations of business will determine the success or failure of those goals.
“Ours can be the first generation to end poverty – and the last generation to address climate change before it is too late.”
UN Secretary General
Whilst setting objectives for our sustainability efforts, there was a natural fit with six of the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals. We support the following three in particular:
Goal 2: Zero hunger
End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
The raw milk that our customers produce is known globally for its excellent nutritional value. It is produced by animals that are fed mainly from plants and other feed that is indigestible to humans. Our focus is to support professional dairy farmers to produce raw milk sustainably so it can continue to be used to make high-quality food products.
The main focus of our work falls into this category. We work in particular with
- ensuring milk quality and food safety
- improving the physical and social working conditions on farms and improve their efficiency
- providing solutions that allow for happy, healthy and thereby productive cows
Goal 12: Responsible consumption and production
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
At DeLaval, we are supporting customers to become more sustainable by:
- securing the raw milk quality
- securing animal health
- optimising the feeding and preventing feed losses
- minimising the use of fossil fuels
Internally, our efforts also support this goal in the following ways:
- our operational units have been working to improve their energy, water and waste management since 2008
- our operational units are requested to minimise their use of restricted substances
- we ask all major suppliers to sign up to and adhere to our Ethics and Sustainability Principles
Goal 13: Climate Action
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
Some of the things we are doing to support this goal include:
- reducing methane emitted per kg of milk by providing solutions for feeding, animal welfare, reproduction and manure management
- providing solutions to help farmers reduce electricity consumption
- our operational units have been working to improve their energy management since 2008
- continuously strive to find improvements in transportation efficiency.
Other goals we support:
Goal 5: Gender Equality
Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
Our code of Business Conduct states: “The companies within the DeLaval Group recruit, employ and promote employees on the sole basis of their qualifications and ability and there shall be neither negative nor positive discrimination.”
Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
Ensure access to water and sanitation for all.
Our operational units have been reporting this use and discharge of water since 2008, all with the aim of improving efficiency.
Goal 7: Affordable and Clean Energy
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
Our assortment offers farmers plate coolers, low electricity consuming motors, highly efficient cooling solutions, low energy ventilation and illumination that all can reduce the electricity consumption on farms. To read more about our view and efforts to improve energy efficiency on farms see our Position Paper. Our operational units have been working to improve their energy management since 2008.